Friday, November 16, 2012

A “Low” in Kelowna




After a 5-year hiatus, I was back in Kelowna, Canada for another crack at this ITU race with a monstrous hill. Back in 2007, my first year as a pro triathlete, I think it’s safe to say that I didn’t know how to ride a bike too well and relied mostly on my swimming and running skills to get me through. However, after training at altitude in the mountains of Colorado, I felt more confident in my biker chick abilities and was ready to race for the podium!

Sadly, my bike had other ideas… apparently the electronic shifting must’ve been a little bit off and every time I tried to shift from my small to big ring after climbing the aforementioned monstrous hill, the chain would slip off and I’d have to put it back on. I continued on each time, picking up a new group of people to ride with almost every lap until the final lap when instead of just slipping off, my chain jammed underneath the frame and I was unable to continue.

The positive things I had to take away from the race were this: 1) I can finally make it up the hill no problem and stay with the group 2) Kelowna is an absolutely gorgeous city! I’m going to go there as often as I get the opportunity! 3) The race organizers and volunteers there are so sweet! They came to get me after my bike broke and made sure I was physically (and mentally) okay…awesome people! 4) The other Americans rocked this race… 3 Americans in the top 5!

No comments:

20 Questions With Your Author

Hey, y’all! Remember me? I’m just now looking at the last time I posted on here… somehow, I blinked and over 1.5 years went by in the blogos...